The City and County of Grande Prairie are following provincial guidelines on the use of non-medical face masks. Non-medical masks are encouraged to be worn on a voluntary basis when it is difficult to maintain physical distance of 2 metres. Businesses in Grande Prairie may request customers wear a non-medical mask in their business, at their discretion.
Why Wear a Mask?
Wearing a non-medical mask has not been proven to protect the person wearing it. However, it can be helpful in protecting those around you. These guidelines from the Government of Alberta provide steps you can take if you choose to wear a non-medical mask: How to choose and wear a non-medical mask to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Wearing a mask can help slow the spread of COVID-19 but should be complemented with other prevention measures including:
- Practice physical distancing, at least 2-metres apart
- Self-isolate if you’re feeling sick
- Wash/sanitize your hands frequently
- Cover coughs and sneeze
- Avoid touching your face
To help slow the spread of COVID-19 it is important to use and dispose of a mask properly. If proper mask usage is not followed you can unintentionally spread infection.
- Clean your hands before touching the mask
- Inspect the mask for damage or dirt
- Adjust the mask to your face without leaving gaps on the sides
- Cover your mouth, nose and chin
- Avoid touching the mask
- Clean your hands before removing the mask
- Remove the mask by the straps behind the ears or head
- Pull the mask away from your face
- Store the mask in a clean, sealable bag if it is not dirty or wet and you plan to reuse it
- Remove the mask by the straps when taking it out of the bag
- If using a reusable mask wash the mask in soap or detergent, preferably with hot water, at least once a day
- Do not use a mask that looks damaged
- Do not wear a loose mask
- Do not wear the mask under the nose
- Do not remove the mask when people are within 2-meters
- Do not wear a dirty or wet mask
- Do not share your mask with others
Posters for Businesses
Businesses interested in receiving information on the proper usage of masks posters to display at their locations may download a poster here or use a contact below to arrange a pick-up/drop-off:
City of Grande Prairie Economic Development - EcDevInfo@cityofgp.com
County of Grande Prairie Economic Development - EcDev@countygp.ab.ca
The City and County of Grande Prairie’s goal is to educate residents and visitors of the Grande Prairie area about the importance and proper use of wearing a face covering when 2 metres distance is difficult to maintain. For more information please email: CitizenContactCentre@cityofgp.com.
The City of Grande Prairie requires masks to be worn on City Transit buses.
For more information on COVID-19 in Alberta visit Alberta Health.